What Claims Can You Claim Compensation for?
It’s important to understand the actual things that you can claim compensation for Homes (Fitness for human Habitation) act 2018
01. Personal items: In case the landlord’s failure to conduct the necessary repairs or maintenance leads to damage or destruction of any personal items,
02. Fittings and furnishings: If items such as paintings, lamps, and other decorative items were damaged due to the landlord’s continuous failure to conduct the needed repairs,
03. Other items: If the landlord’s continued negligence to repair or conduct the necessary maintenance, which leads to items such as bedding, clothing, etc. to be damaged, you can claim for them.
Here are a few other thing to take into consideration:
The courts will decide whether a property is fit for human habitation by considering the matters set out in section 10 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. These are whether:
- the building has been neglected and is in a bad condition
- the building is unstable
- there’s a serious problem with damp
- it has an unsafe layout
- there’s not enough natural light
- there’s not enough ventilation
- there is a problem with the supply of hot and cold water
- there are problems with the drainage or the lavatories
- it’s difficult to prepare and cook food or wash up