Is it expensive to treat damp?

Is it expensive to treat damp?

Is it expensive to treat damp?

Is it expensive to treat damp?

Is it expensive to treat damp? Discovering sections of plaster detaching from sodden walls or murky mould blooms ruining your furnishings forces distressed homeowners to confront the problem – how much will adequately fixing damp issues cost? Especially in older properties, is solving moisture issues an eye-wateringly expensive undertaking?

Moderate Repair Cost Estimates The qualified good news – the cost of professionally treating damp and mould outbreaks through typical combined building repairs and fungal elimination normally averages £2,500 to £5,000 for a standard house when using registered specialists. This covers:

  • An accredited damp & timber property survey with recommendations – £250+
  • Subfloor ventilation installation – £500+
  • Electrical or plumbing leak repairs – £200+
  • Installation of proper insulation like cavity wall fill to reduce condensation risks – £800+
  • Chemical washes, dry lining and mould-resistant paints to treat affected walls – £700+

Quotes rise for larger properties, extensive damage or complex structural remediation needs.

Cost Mitigation Options Numerous options potentially reduce expenses like tenants coordinating repair requests to distribute landlord costs or pursuing mutually beneficial insurance claims regarding third-party root causes. Compare multiple quotes emphasizing long warranties too.

Additionally, councils or charities may contribute discretionary financial and legal assistance for struggling tenants living in damaging conditions. This aims to avoid homelessness.

Weighing Expenditure Against Further Risks Ultimately the accumulated costs of allowing hazardous damp and accompanying mould to deteriorate unchecked rarely justify postponed repairs, from declining rent values and tenant disputes to major rebuilds. Early preventative treatment remains the most cost-effective and healthiest solution all occupants benefit from.

Your Council and Housing Association are legally responsible for treating damp issues. If you have complained and nothing has been done you may have cause to make a housing conditions claim. Find out if you qualify to by contacting our team of experts.

Housing Disrepair Advice:

Housing Ombudsman: